Role of Structural Engineers on Commercial Property
Have you ever imagined why some commercial buildings like office buildings, warehouses, retail buildings and other structures last longer than others? It is all dependent on the structural engineer. The role of structural engineers on commercial property is very significant. Every structure either private or commercial has a design that is carefully and properly planned by a structural engineer. A structural engineer designs and properly plans every structural aspect of the project to ensure its quality and proper execution. They understand and calculate the stability, strength, as well as the rigidity that serves as the bone and muscle of the structures.
What is Structural Engineering?
Structural engineers take care of an aspect of engineering known as structural engineering. Structural engineering is the field of civil engineering that deals with the analysis, design, and proper planning of structures to make sure it can withstand the design loads applied to the structure. This design and planning are based on the performance of different materials and geometrics used in the project.
The field of structural engineering is based on the application of empirical knowledge and physical laws of the structural material to put up a complex structural building that can pass every quality test and meet all legal standards.
Roles of Structural Engineers on Commercial Properties
The roles of structural engineers cannot be overlooked if you intend to put up commercial property of high standard that will perform its function. The building and construction industry are highly dependent on the knowledge of structural engineers to put up a reliable structure. Here are some of the key roles of structural engineers that make them indisputable in the development of commercial properties.
- They make use of computer simulations to predict how the structures will fair under different loading conditions like wind and earthquakes together with the structure’s own weight and the occupant load. They also make calculations for load and stress to validate if the building can support or resist loads like seismic load, dead loads, live loads, and so on.
- They supervise the various on-site project teams and giving feedback on projects to clients and senior manager.
- Structural engineers are also in charge of making sure that the various commercial projects meet legal standards and guidelines, environmental directives as well as health and safety standards.
- They also function in preparing tenders for vendors, designs, and drawings.
- Structural engineers also develop design ideas, working together with the design team and other professionals on the construction plans to make sure it is properly executed.
- They are also in charge of giving advice and recommendation of materials that are of high quality and are perfectly suitable for the project.
- For already completed project or already erected buildings, structural engineers are also in charge of inspecting these buildings and giving structural analysis to determine if it is safe or unsafe. They identify existing building either for repair or demolition.
Some of our Commercial Projects
Commercial Building Extension, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Project: 1250 sq.ft restaurant extension and refurbishment.
Our Role: Structural calculations (wind, seismic and snow loading analyses), analysis and design for the metal frameworks (footings, columns, beams, rafters) and structural plan production including foundation plan, roof framing plan, structural details, structural notes and specifications.
Commercial Cultivation Building
Project: A 39,300 sq.ft. 2-floor level with partial basement commercial plantation building constructed using steel frames.
Our Role: Structural calculations including loading analyses (wind, snow and seismic loadings), analysis and design of all structural components being used, and structural drawings including foundation plan, floor framing plans, roof framing plans, structural details and schedules, and structural notes and specifications.
The role of structural engineers on commercial property cannot be overlooked. The availability and competence of structural engineers on commercial building can go a long way in determining the quality and strength of the building. This is because they work closely with other engineering fields to ensure that projects are properly planned, materials of high quality are used, designs are properly followed, and the projects duly executed. If you want a proper configuration of your building, sound structure and quality materials, then call on a competent structural engineer.